HUB IS A COMMUNITY OF NONPROFITS AND BUSINESSES IN OSHKOSH
Hub is a hand up, not a hand out. Actually, hub is many hands—Oshkosh area nonprofits, government agencies, businesses and volunteers working as your partners—connected to each other and working with you to make it easier for you to tackle obstacles and move to a place of long-term financial stability.
Hub is more than an information and referral network. Hub coaches help you figure out how you might like your life to be different and then help you create a plan of action to get you there. Your personal plan might focus on managing your monthly spending, going back to school, getting a better job, improving your credit history, finding affordable housing and more. With you in the driver’s seat, the hub community is your pit crew, helping you overcome barriers and working together to support you with coordinated services every step of the way.
So, HOW DOES Hub work?
- Submit a simple application, so we can connect you with a coach and resources.
- On your first call or visit, we will listen to your needs and work with you to identify the first steps to addressing those needs. If we find one of our hub partners has a community resource you need, we'll connect you to that partner right away.
- We'll connect you with a hub coach who will work with you to establish manageable goals and will be there for you when you need additional support to meet or exceed those goals.
- Once you develop goals with achievable action steps, you’ll schedule regular meetings with your hub coach, who will help hold you accountable and guide you to your next steps.
- After you reach a goal, you’re welcome to set another.
- Once you’re comfortable with your financial stability, you can stay connected with your coach, or better yet, become a coach yourself!
The U.S. Census estimates the poverty rate in Winnebago County is at 12.6 percent, up from 6.7 percent in 2000, despite a decline in the unemployment rate. Millions of dollars have been invested by government and community donors to target the root causes of poverty, but the problem continues to grow.
There is no one cause, no one solution, no one organization that can reduce poverty on its own. Hub is a group of nonprofit organizations and government agencies that understand this and have committed to working together on behalf of individuals and families in the Oshkosh area. Hub’s goal is to improve the economic stability of Oshkosh as a whole by helping one person or one family at a time get the right coaching and support in a timely and streamlined manner.
Current Hub Partners
The key difference and the reason for hub’s success is the concept of collaboration and collective impact – organizations working together for the greater good. Hub partners know that the combined impact of their individual services is multiplied when provided as a whole instead each of them operating alone.
Hub partners have committed to working formally together, to combine services, to reduce poverty and expand opportunities for people in need in the Oshkosh area. Hub partners are committed to:
- connecting people struggling to get by with the right resources on the first call
- coordinating services, to make it easier for people in need to get ahead
- filling the gaps in service that might exist if they worked alone
- training volunteers to work one-on-one with participants in developing action plans and goals
Shared Vision and Mission
Hub envisions a future where Oshkosh residents are able to overcome life's unexpected crises and gain lasting self-sufficiency. To realize this vision, hub’s mission is to help Oshkosh residents overcome the barriers keeping them from fulfilling their fullest potential.
If you live or work in the Oshkosh area, or care about those who do, hub is for you.